Following up on my last blog post about being a Highly Sensitive Person, I thought I would put together a list of self-care tips. Though most of these are great tips for anyone, these are especially good for those of us that fit into that personality trait and have been extremely helpful to me in my own life.
- Meditation – My favorite channel on YouTube is called “Great Meditation” and it’s a compilation of tons of 10 minute or so guided meditations. Each day I look through the list and pick one that stands out to me.
- Journaling – After I meditate, I love to sit down and journal. Once upon a time, I would only journal when I was upset but not, I write about anything and everything. What do I desire to create in my life? What are my intentions for the day? What’s on my heart? What do I need to work through right now?
- Yoga/Exercises – So, so important to move your body each day. Get your blood flowing.
- Find a creative outlet. Art, music, reading, etc.
- Spend time in nature. If you can get your bare feet on the ground, I encourage you to do so. I love to sit in the grass with my feet flat on the ground and do some breathing techniques.
- Pamper yourself. Take a bath, get a manicure/pedicure, get your hair done.
- Implement “me time” each day. It doesn’t have to be long, even 20 minutes to enjoy a quiet space, meditate, go for walk, do your create outlet. This can make such a huge difference.
- Use calming essential oils, bath products, & lotions.
- Make a space in your home into your own retreat, a space that’s all yours. Even if it is means a space in your closet. Create a space where you can go to have a quiet moment, meditate, breathe, drink your coffee in peace, whatever you need. Get a comfy pillow or meditation pillow, put up your favorite quotes, get a pair of earbuds, and relax.
- Hug your children or your pets.
- Cook or bake.
- Learn more about being an HSP so you can have a better understanding and learn how to process your emotions.
- Unplug from Social Media.
- Tidy up, rearrange furniture, and declutter.
- Listen to encouraging and motivating podcasts or YouTube Videos.
- Spend time with your BFF or have a girls/guys night out.
- Eat a healthy, whole foods based diet and drink plenty of water.
- Let go of toxic people and situations. It’s okay to say NO or no thanks.
- Cut out caffeine when possible. I am down to only one cup of coffee a day but I still drink my one. It’s my favorite way to start my day. A few quiet moments with a cup of coffee before I get going for the day. After that, I try not have anything else with caffeine.
- Listen to calming music. One of my favorite stations right now on Pandora is called “Feminine Energy Radio” and I love to listen to it while I work.
- Put your phone on “Do Not Disturb” mode when you go to bed. This is ensures no distractions in your bedroom and while you sleep. I like this better than “Airplane” mode because I have mine set to let the people in my “Favorites” list be able to get through in case of emergency.
- Book a little getaway. Maybe go partner or friend, explore new places, make new friends, try new things.
- No matter what, be kind to yourself. Be sure to do something for yourself. Let others do things for you. If you give, and give, and give, and never get your cupped refilled, you will burn out and feel tired and sad, and unfulfilled. You deserve it and you need it.
Not sure you are an HSP? Read “Are You a Highly Sensitive Person” now.
Thank you for taking the time to read these self care tips. Do you have other ideas or tips? Or something that has really helped you? Be a part of our Jelleybean family and share with us. We want to hear from you.